How the Board engages
- Annual supplier conference held, attended by the Chairman and Executive management.
- Deputy Chairman champions supplier interests at the Board.
- Key suppliers attend the annual colleague conference.
- Chief Executive Officer and Deputy Chairman meet regularly with key suppliers.
- Annual Board presentation on ethical trading/modern slavery.
- Supplier payment terms reported to the Board and published.
Why we engage
We do not manufacture the vast majority of the products that we sell; therefore we need to maintain relationships with suppliers and manufacturers worldwide who can meet our high standards.
Suppliers must demonstrate that they operate in accordance with recognised standards that uphold human rights and safety, prohibit modern slavery, and promote sustainable sourcing.
Issues relevant to this group
- Fair trading and payment terms.
- Ethics and slavery.
- Environment and sustainable sourcing.
- Operational improvement.
What we did as a result of our engagement
Paid all of our stock suppliers, many of whom have been with us for many years, in accordance with agreed terms throughout the Covid-19 crisis, adhered to stock commitments, and provided advice and support to key suppliers.
Reviewed our ‘committed supplier’ base, to include suppliers based overseas.
Continued to audit our suppliers against our human rights standards, and to work with them to improve any shortfalls identified.